Clause Mock Test - Tips and tricks

ЁЯУШ CLAUSES — Class 11 English

 Q1. What is a Clause?

A clause is a group of words that contains a subject and a verb.

Example:

She works hard.

→ Subject = She | Verb = works

→ It is a clause.

because she works hard

→ Subject = she | Verb = works

→ It is also a clause.

Easy Formula:

Clause = Subject + Verb

2. Types of Clauses

There are mainly three types of clauses A. A.Noun Clause

A noun clause works like a noun in a sentence.

Example:

I know that he is honest.

Ask: What do I know?

Answer: that he is honest → Noun Clause.

Common words:

that, what, who, whoever, whatever, whether, if, why, how, where, when

B. Adjective Clause / Relative Clause

An adjective clause describes or gives more information about a noun or pronoun.

Example:

The boy who won the race is my brother.

The clause who won the race describes the boy.

Common words:

who, whom, whose, which, that, where, when

C. Adverb Clause

An adverb clause tells us more about a verb, adjective or another adverb. It can show time, reason, condition, purpose, contrast, etc.

Example:

I stayed at home because it was raining.

The clause tells us why I stayed at home.


Common Words 



Type

Common Connectors

Time 

when, while, before, after, until

Reason 

because, since, as

Condition

if, unless, provided that


Purpose

so that, in order that

Contrast

although, though, even though

Result

so...that, such...that


Tips & Tricks to Identify Clauses

Trick 1: Find Subject + Verb

First locate the subject and verb.

I know where he lives.

he = subject

lives = verb

So, where he lives is a clause.

Trick 2: Ask “What?”

If the clause answers What? after a verb, it is generally a Noun Clause.

I know what he wants.

What do I know? → what he wants

Trick 3: Look for a Noun Being Described

If the clause describes a person, place or thing, it is an Adjective Clause.

The girl who is singing is my sister.

who is singing describes the girl.

Trick 4: Ask When/Why/How/Under What Condition?

If the clause tells when, why, how, where, under what condition or despite what, it is generally an Adverb Clause.

We stayed inside because it was raining.

Why did we stay inside? → because it was raining.

⭐ Golden Rule

Noun Clause → acts like a Noun

Adjective Clause → describes a Noun

Adverb Clause → tells circumstances of an action


ЁЯУЭ MOCK TEST — CLAUSES

Class XI English | CBSE Practice

Maximum Marks: 20


Time: 30 Minutes

Section A — Identify the Clause

(5 × 1 = 5 Marks)

Identify the underlined clause as Noun Clause, Adjective Clause or Adverb Clause.

1. I believe that he will succeed.

2. The man who lives next door is a doctor.

3. We stayed indoors because it was raining.

4. Tell me what you want.

5. I will call you when I reach home.


Section B — Fill in the Blanks

(5 × 1 = 5 Marks)

Choose a suitable conjunction/relative pronoun.

6. I do not know _______ he will come.

(a) whether

(b) who

(c) which

(d) where

7. The book _______ you gave me is very interesting.

(a) who

(b) which

(c) whom

(d) where

8. We shall wait here _______ the rain stops.

(a) until

(b) because

(c) although

(d) if

9. _______ you work hard, you will succeed.

(a) If

(b) Although

(c) Because

(d) While

10. She left early _______ she could catch the train.

(a) although

(b) so that

(c) because

(d) unless


Section C — Combine the Sentences

(5 × 1 = 5 Marks)

Combine each pair using the word given in brackets.

11. He is honest. Everyone knows this.

(that)

12. I met a girl. She won the debate.

(who)

13. Hurry up. You will miss the bus.

(or/otherwise)

14. It was raining heavily. We continued the match.

(although)

15. He worked hard. He wanted to pass the examination.

(so that)

Section D — Editing/Transformation

(5 × 1 = 5 Marks)


Rewrite the following sentences as directed.

16. I know his address.

Begin with: I know where...

17. The boy is my cousin. He is wearing a blue shirt.

Combine using who.

18. He could not attend school because he was ill.

Identify the type of clause beginning with because.

19. Work hard or you will fail.

Rewrite using unless.

20. She said something. It surprised everyone.

Combine using what.



✅ COMPLETE ANSWER KEY

Section A

1. Noun Clause

that he will succeed functions as the object of believe.

2. Adjective Clause

who lives next door describes the man.

3. Adverb Clause

because it was raining gives the reason.

4. Noun Clause

what you want functions as the object of tell.

5. Adverb Clause

when I reach home indicates time.

Answers:

Noun Clause

Adjective Clause

Adverb Clause

Noun Clause

Adverb Clause

Section B

6. (a) whether

→ I do not know whether he will come.

7. (b) which

→ The book which you gave me is very interesting.

8. (a) until

→ We shall wait here until the rain stops.

9. (a) If

→ If you work hard, you will succeed.

10. (b) so that

→ She left early so that she could catch the train.

Answers:

whether

which

until

If

so that

Section C

11. Everyone knows that he is honest.

12. I met a girl who won the debate.

13. Hurry up, otherwise you will miss the bus.

14. Although it was raining heavily, we continued the match.

15. He worked hard so that he could pass the examination.

Section D

16. I know where he lives.

(Any grammatically appropriate answer beginning with “I know where...” is acceptable.)

17. The boy who is wearing a blue shirt is my cousin.

18. Adverb Clause of Reason

19. Unless you work hard, you will fail.

20. What she said surprised everyone.


ЁЯОп Quick Revision Chart

Clause

Main Function

Example

Noun Clause

Works as a noun

I know what he wants.

Adjective Clause

Describes a noun

The boy who won is my friend.

Adverb Clause

Gives time/reason/condition etc.

I left because I was tired.

ЁЯФе Last-Minute Exam Trick

When you see a clause, ask:

1. Is it naming/acting as a thing? → NOUN CLAUSE

2. Is it describing a noun? → ADJECTIVE CLAUSE

3. Is it telling when/why/how/condition/contrast? → ADVERB CLAUSE

Remember: Noun = Name | Adjective = Describe | Adverb = Circumstance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Important Links -12th English

Important Links 11th Eng Question And Answer

ASL ASSESSMENT OF SPEAKING AND LISTENING 20 MARKS PROJECT FILE